This egg sandwich is a New Market–style grilled egg sandwich with a creamy filling of mayonnaise and soft-boiled eggs, and a buttery brown crust. It is an exceedingly easy and light snack, a special treat for egg-lovers. We have made ours along the lines of the NV Stores (Free School Street) grilled egg-mayo sandwich, which, when out shopping in the New Market area you can't go wrong with.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 40 g mayonnaise
- 10 g onion (finely chopped)
- 10 g coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- butter (for grilling)
- First, boil the eggs. To get soft-boiled eggs, boil for 5–7 mins depending on the size of the egg. If you prefer hard-boiled eggs, cook them for 7–9 mins.
- Spread 10 g of mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Chop the boiled egg and spread it over the bread.
- Add salt and freshly crushed pepper.
- Chop onions and coriander, and sprinkle them over the eggs. Be careful not to overdo it, as we don't want to overwhelm the flavour of the eggs.
- For a buttery golden crust, spread softened butter on the outside.
- Heat an iron skillet or tawa. Place the buttered side down. Weigh down with another flat pan for even grilling.
- After a minute, remove the flat pan and butter the second side. Flip the sandwich over, and grill the other side for 1 minute.
- Serve hot, with ketchup and green chilli sauce.