- 4 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 40 g mayonnaise
- 10 g onion (finely chopped)
- 10 g coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- butter (for grilling)
This egg sandwich is a New Market–style grilled egg sandwich with a creamy filling of mayonnaise and soft-boiled eggs, and a buttery brown crust. It is an exceedingly easy and light snack, a special treat for egg-lovers. We have made ours along the lines of the NV Stores (Free School Street) grilled egg-mayo sandwich, which, when out shopping in the New Market area you can't go wrong with.
- Starting eggs in boiling water immediately cooks the whites, allowing the yolks to remain runny. This also prevents the proteins in the egg white from bonding with the egg shell, making them easier to peel. Peeling under water also helps detach the shell neatly. Learn more about the science of boiling eggs in this video by Kenji Lopez-Alt.
- First, boil the eggs. To get soft-boiled eggs, boil for 5–7 mins depending on the size of the egg. If you prefer hard-boiled eggs, cook them for 7–9 mins.
- Immediately immerse them in cold water. This is especially important for soft-boiled eggs, to prevent the yolks from cooking further.
- Spread 10 g of mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Chop the boiled egg and spread it over the bread.
- Add salt and freshly crushed pepper.
- Chop onions and coriander, and sprinkle them over the eggs. Be careful not to overdo it, as we don't want to overwhelm the flavour of the eggs.
- For a buttery golden crust, spread softened butter on the outside.
- Heat an iron skillet or tawa. Place the buttered side down. Weigh down with another flat pan for even grilling.
- After a minute, remove the flat pan and butter the second side. Flip the sandwich over, and grill the other side for 1 minute.
- Serve hot, with ketchup and green chilli sauce.
- Griddle or tawa
EquipmentS USED IN THIS RECIPESee all our kitchen tools
Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
Wooden chopping board
Victorinox 3 inch paring knife