- 20 g dried red chillies
- 120 g vinegar (optional)
- 3 g or 1 pc garlic (large)
- ½ tsp salt
This is a no-cook, easy-to-make momo chutney recipe for the hot chilli sauce that is usually served with momos or kotheys. Besides the heat from the dried red chillies, vinegar lends it a slight tang and the garlic provides flavour. Just a dab of this hot momo chutney is enough with each bite—it packs quite a punch.
- The most common version of this chutney does not use any vinegar—just salt, garlic, chillies and water.
- You can retain the seeds if you want a super-hot sauce, but remember that the seeds will make the sauce a bit pale in colour, instead of vibrant red.
- Slit open the dried red chillies and discard the seeds.
- Soak the chillies in hot water for 15 minutes (or in vinegar for 2 hours).
- Transfer them to a grinder jar with some of the soaking liquid. You can add more later to adjust consistency.
- Add crushed garlic and salt. Blend everything until smooth.
- Small bowl
EquipmentS USED IN THIS RECIPESee all our kitchen tools